Thursday, March 05, 2009

In other news

The hearing for Prop 8 has started today in CA.

The state Supreme Court will be hearing arguments that can be summed up thusly:

Anti-8: Taking away the rights of a protected class of people by majority vote constitutes a revision of the CA constitution and therefore would have to be passed by legislature.

Pro-8: Those 18,000 marriages that were performed before the passing of Prop 8 are illegal after the fact and must be declared invalid.

After arguments are done, the court has 90 days to render a decision.

I feel like I'm on a roller coaster that wont stop.

Honestly, I know that marriage is by no means the be all and end all of rights struggles, and that the focus on marriage is dictated by rights leaders who actively ignore some members of their group in order to keep everything focused that direction. I also know that if marriage for all is finally declared legal on a federal level, I don't have to worry about losing my marriage to a technicality enforced by a sexist, homophobic, heteronormative state.

No comments:

Post a Comment